Friday, January 4, 2008

Run Out Of Dishwashing Detergent?

No matter how much we stock up on household items when catching sales or buying products in bulk, there's always those awkward times where we run out of something. It's always neat to be aware of little tricks just to get by during those times, and I thought I would share a few ideas for when you might run out of dishwashing detergent and can't run to the store right away.

Actually, in all honesty, I don't even bother with purchasing actual dishwashing detergents. Being a soapmaker, I normally use my soaps that haven't lived up to my satisfaction and tend to be less moisturizing. (Different soapmakers have different styles and tastes- I usually aim my main focus on my recipes being more moisturizing than any other characteristics and can be a little picky when it comes to my own soaps in that aspect!) I find the ones that don't meet my personal expectation are great for washing dishes by hand without leaving residue or spots behind. They definitely last longer than a bottle of dishwashing detergent and I find they're even better with cleaning up extra grimy and greasy messes. If in a pinch, or just trying to save money here and there, any bar soap that's not heavily moisturizing can be an alternative to dishwashing detergents. Using natural based soaps are even better because you're also doing the environment a favor.

Another alternative is shampoo. If you read the labels, shampoos and dishwashing detergent don't really have a whole lot of differences in them. The key is "cheap" shampoos usually seem to work best and are actually cheaper in the long run in comparison to regular dishwashing detergents. From my experimenting in the rare times I resort to this method, my favorite for using it this way was VO-5's Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo. It only cost me about 79 cents for a nice sized bottle, doesn't contain extra silicones and junk in it that could leave a residue, and the citrus and rosemary extracts in it is great for cleaning and is also naturally antibacterial. (Not to mention it smells simply heavenly!)

For more articles on health, beauty, crafts, and home visit http://www.chambersessentials.com

Labels: , , , , ,